Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Pre-show

I just listened to a file titled 1945-02-25 Preshow. It's a really interesting piece, about seven minutes long, recorded before the Great Gildersleeve episode of that day went on the air. Most of it consists of Hal Peary telling a comical story to the studio audience. It's interesting how similar his regular voice and laugh are to those of the Gildersleeve character. I believe I've read that Peary didn't do much non-Gildersleeve work (I think this was due to a contractural clause at first) because his voice was so recognizable as Throckmorton. Obviously he did the Harold Peary Show (AKA Honest Harold) after leaving Gildersleeve but as far as I know that was not popular at the time nor is it especially popular with OTR fans today.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow, would sure love to hear that!
big Gildy fan, would love to get some insights into the real Hal Peary...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home